December 14, 2017, 06:50:10 PM

Author Topic: It was a tough decision, but I think I will stick with FlashPunk  (Read 4054 times)

Lic400

• View Profile
Hi, my name is Josh and I am exited to join this community. Haxe seems like a great language to learn, but I have to say I was turned off by the games(no offence) and lack of users in FlashPunk. A part of me feels that I can't make any decent sized games with lots of rooms, objects, etc but then I tried some FlashPunk games. Pheonotopia was exactly the type of game I wanted to see that shows the potential of FlashPunk, so I imagine a game like that can be as easily made in HaxePunk. Is this correct?

Another turn off was that HaxeFlixel has soo many games with downloadable source codes, where HaxePunk really lacks. That made it a really tough decision, but after reading through some HaxePunk tutorials, this engine just feels soo much better and easier to incorporate my ideas.

I am going to trust my instincts and learn HaxePunk. I have faith in this community and hope all this time I spend here is worth it.

mikale

• View Profile
Re: It was a tough decision, but I think I will stick with FlashPunk
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Hey, welcome. I am in the same boat as you right now :) I've been using HaxePunk for about three weeks (but I've been a FlashPunk user for a while). There has been talk of merging the HaxePunk and FlashPunk communities but I don't know if it will happen. I'm currently lurking both forums for now.

FP/HP aren't dying, they are still very much alive. As for the lack of games and tutorials, well, maybe it's time the community pitched in. But I hope you enjoy your stay and let us know if you have questions!

ibilon

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
Welcome here, choosing an engine is never easy and sometimes you have to try some to really know, so I hope you enjoy using haxepunk :)

If a game was made it flashpunk it's unlikely that I couldn't be done with haxepunk.

So yeah the community is rather small and sometimes it can happen that a user problem slips through the forum's cracks, if you ask for help here and you don't get help do bump your post.

And like mikale said neither flashpunk nor haxepunk are going away anytime soon, so don't worry about that.

@mikale After seeing your message I went to flashpunk's forum and indeed some people talked about a merge,
haxepunk is slowly moving away from flashpunk though with the planned next version which won't have the exact same api as before (refactored stuff, name changes... though we'll have a compatibility layer so that people can still use the old api) and will be stage3d (on flash) *only* to support 3d mesh, lighting and shaders and in the next next version a full 3d engine capability.

Using haxe/openfl as a lot of benefits since we can target more than flash, and the openfl guys are working on console support, and we could always provide a swc for flash people (and with haxe's remap feature the haxepunk package could also automatically be renamed to flashpunk if some people wanted that).

Anyway if people wanted to cross from flashpunk to haxepunk they're more than welcome here ;) and if some flashpunk's features are missing we'd also be more than happy to add them ;)

Lic400

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:31 AM »
Thank you for the kind replies, but after playing around, I feel like I may be making a mistake. While I feel like HaxePunk is the right engine for me, I feel that there is no way for me to fully understand it, or Haxe itself withought learning Actionscript first. The reason I say that is because, for example, try Google searching to find out why we always call the super function and what it means. Or when/why we call out classes and use different terms. There is nothing to teach you. Last night, I spent quite a bit of time learning these things. The only way I was able to understand(though still not comfortable) was to read Actionscript tutorials, and then relearn it with Haxe.

That is a very tough way to learn a language. There is also "that other engine" that seems like it would make this much much easier to learn, but after much research, I still like HaxePunk better. HaxePunk to me feels like I don't have to rely too much off the engine, but it's there when I need it. Makes me feel like a real programmer. If I learn the other engine first, or Actionscript, I know I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of learning HaxePunk later on.

I know I am in the HaxePunk forums, so opinions are going to be a little biased, but with no Actionscript knowledge, do you think I should stick with this or use the other engine? Like I said, I am fairly confident I can learn it much quicker by switching over, but if possible, I would prefer HxP.

Any idea's how I can properly learn this?

xmorpher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:07:08 PM »
it seems that you have problems with OOP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming)
not haxepunk itself... You need to learn the oop basics then learn the language you like

read the basic about OOP, It’s worth it...  (google: "oop basic tutorial")
it does not matter the language (you can learn the basic of OOP in AS3 or C++)
Then you can apply those principles to any language/library you want

good luck!

Lic400

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Yeah, I do understand OOP to an extent, but it does seem that alot of the confusion comes from that particular area. I did spend a week learning C++ and picked up the basics surprisingly quick, and had nowhere near the amount of confusion as I do with Haxe lol. But then again, C++ has millions of tutorials intended for the non-experienced.

I think I might just try to learn Haxe alone without an engine. I'll try to stick around at this forum though, seems like a good little community.

ibilon

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:23:58 AM »
In that case you might want to read the haxe manual http://haxe.org/manual/ after that you should have a good idea of what is haxe, what can it do and its syntax.

xmorpher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
hmmmm.... Then i would advise you to learn OOP in AS3, because:
1- There are a lot of tutorials for As3 (many more than haxe)
2- It's very similar to haxe so everything you learn you should be able to apply in Haxe/OpenFL
3- It's easier to test / compile / share / find help

Sidar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
I feel that there is no way for me to fully understand it, or Haxe itself withought learning Actionscript first.

If you learn AS3 first you'd have to drop some habits and learn those other things anyway. There really is no point in going AS3 first imo.*

The reason I say that is because, for example, try Google searching to find out why we always call the super function and what it means. Or when/why we call out classes and use different terms.

You're talking about basic OOP principles. Not a reason to start out with AS3 either. Really, the syntax for Haxe is pretty much based on AS3. Haxe is superior in that it supports more features. Nothing wrong with taking AS3 as learning material for OOP principles. But I'd definitely wouldn't waste time going AS3 first and then Haxe. *Because AS3 does not have all the features Haxe has.
Any idea's how I can properly learn this?

By making your games. As a beginner you're suppose to make a mess out of your games. That's how you learn. Move on and keep doing it.

Anheurystics

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
Learning Haxe for me was relatively easy since I learned AS3 first (which, in turn, was easy given my Java/C++ background). I understand the whole "don't learn AS3 if you'll use Haxe anyway".

I guess a good way to learn a language is to keep using it, read up on the manual, and look at other people's code. And as mentioned, keep making games with it.

terrox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »
Have you tried this tutorial? http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/haxe/