November 22, 2017, 01:07:16 AM

Author Topic: Is HaxePunk dead?  (Read 8141 times)

tametick

• View Profile
Is HaxePunk dead?
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
Hi,
is anyone still working on this project?

Last commit was 2 month ago...Would be a shame for it to die since there is pretty much no other haxe game engine to replace it.

Matt Tuttle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Matt Tuttle's Blog
Re: Is HaxePunk dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
I haven't had a chance to spend much time on updates to the engine. Mar has been doing an awesome job making some bug fixes and I try to keep track of pull requests on GitHub.

Please let me know if there are features you would like to see added.

tametick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
Please let me know if there are features you would like to see added.

There aren't any specific features I need as much as the assurance that it's still in-sync with as3 flashpunk :)

I used a haxe port of flixel for my old game (https://github.com/domrein/Flixel-Haxe) and it pretty much stagnated and now I'm stuck with a game built around old and unsupported version of flixel 2.0, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not making the same mistake here.

Matt Tuttle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Matt Tuttle's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:57 AM »
As of right now there haven't been any changes to Chevy's version of FlashPunk but I know they are going off a different fork on GitHub. If there are changes I'm missing you are more than welcome to add the code and submit a pull request.  ;) I check those as frequently as possible and merge them in with the master branch.

The next month or two I won't have much time so don't expect anything soon.

Also, I'd like to update haxelib with the latest changes. :D

hima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
Hi Matt! Could you please answer mumuja in this thread if you have time? http://forum.haxepunk.com/index.php?topic=28.0  I'm wondering the same thing.

Zoltam

• View Profile
    • Zoltam Design
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
I have been playing with Flashunk for a long time, and I want to try with Haxepunk now.

However, I think Haxepunk should offer a working game, with the whole project, code and assets available to download. So people be able to just open it with Flashdevelop, read the code, press play and see it running. It could be any simple object moving on screen.

Most of libraries allow people start with a "hello world" project of this kind, it's like an invitation for people to try the library very fast.  But the process should be as complicated as: Download, Unzip, Open with Flashdevelop, Play.  Offering a clean template is not appealing, and suggesting things like: "you will have to use SamHaxe before compiling" is like "if you are not an expert, go away". And showing just  compiled projects don't allow people to know the engine from inside.

See what other guys do for other libraries:
Actuate example
Spritesheet sample project
game tutorial: whack-a-mole

I can understand documentation and tutorials take a lot of time and effort, but they are not so important. People can learn by themselves if they are invited to play with Haxepunk with a cool hellomovingworld.

Matt Tuttle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Matt Tuttle's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
At the time I ported the code there were several issues with the haxe platform that hadn't been resolved. The first was that asset management was terrible to handle. Swfmill, samhaxe, and nme all handle things differently and trying to explain the differences is a headache. The second issue being that making a preloader was next to impossible which makes serious game development in haxe kind of difficult.

NME has improved a lot over the past year and I plan to write a tutorial in the next month or so. If you want to get your hands dirty with a game that's already been made you can check out the code I wrote for a speed game a few months ago. That should give you enough ideas to get started. You'll need FlashDevelop and samhaxe to build the project. https://github.com/MattTuttle/Current

Zoltam

• View Profile
    • Zoltam Design
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:46 AM »
Ok, I will test it, thanks!
In my opinion NME compatibility should be the goal in the future, because of the multiplatform easy compilation.

That thing about making a tutorial also sounds great. Making Haxepunk easy to start will probably make the community grow.

sanctus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
I made a game on HaxePunk at the last year of 2011. I did it to learn haxe and also HaxePunk.
The game name is Campo, it is a turn based game, not online, with player vs player. And the code is open. You can yet see the original Gimp xcf files of the made graphics.
I can give it on a package or make some github account and put there or also you can add to haxepunk as sample. However, the code is a little big for beginners and can be difficult to understand, because I made it on portuguese. But I can easily translate comments and functions names to english, as well.

Zoltam

• View Profile
    • Zoltam Design
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »
After the last release 1.5.1 and the new look of the website I just can say: Matt, you are doing a good job!!
I got to make HaxePunk work, and compile it to Flash and Android just installing Flashdevelop, NME and Haxepunk. And the programming really feels like working with Flashpunk.

If someone needs it, here you can see the HelloWorld sample. And you can download the Flashdevelop project with the source code in case you need it to start.

Haxepunk is ALIVE AND KICKING!!  ;D

hima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »
Thank you, Zoltam! I'm gonna see if it works on HTML5, CPP and iOS target then :D

AClockWorkLemon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »
Well, i've decided to get myself back into the game, so a massive thanks for porting FP to haXe, it's great being able to almost seamlessly recompile to native binaries.

For the purpose of teaching myself how to use the library, and how to work around haXe's quirks, i've been doing my usual trick of following my own tutorial. Once i'm done (probably this weekend, would take less time but i'm busy with some work for a client tomorrow), i'll edit the old tutorial to suit haXe/HXP and upload the src to GitHub.

Hope it will be of use :)